In a Nutshell
Compass Point’s core beliefs describe our theological positions on key aspects of faith. Centered in Christ and His message, ours is a biblical theology rather than a theology that is speculative, subjective, or merely rooted in tradition. These beliefs are derived directly from the Bible and are in agreement with the doctrinal statement of the Associated Gospel Churches of Canada.
We believe that the Bible is God speaking in man’s language, and in the original writings is exactly as He gave it, word for word without any error whatsoever. It has been preserved by God to be the authoritative standard for every age and every life.
We believe that God exists in three persons, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, that these three are eternal and are one. We also believe that God is the sole Creator of the universe.
We believe that Jesus Christ in the flesh was both God and man, that he was born of a virgin and that He lived a sinless life, in which He taught and did mighty works and signs exactly as revealed in the four gospels. We believe that He was crucified, dying as a penalty for our sins and was bodily raised from the dead on the third day as the Scriptures declare. Later, He ascended to heaven where He is Head of the Church and interceded for believers. From there He will come again personally and bodily and visibly to this earth to set up an earthly kingdom, afterward to reign forever as King in His universe.
We believe that all are sinners and are guilty before God, and as such are worthy of both physical and spiritual death.
We believe that since in His death the Lord Jesus Christ satisfied all the demands of God’s law, redeeming mankind by shedding His blood and assuming our curse, men and women can have a just standing before God. That is, they can become true Christians. The single basis for this standing is the death of Jesus Christ and an individual’s personal faith in Him.
We believe that salvation with its forgiveness of sins, includes the receiving of a new nature and the assurance of eternal life. It is entirely apart from good works such as baptism or church membership, but is purely by God’s grace.
We believe that a true believer cannot ever forfeit his standing with God. However, sin may interrupt the joy of his fellowship with God and bring the discipline of a loving Heavenly Father.
The Holy Spirit
We believe that the Holy Spirit is a person, that He is God and has all the attributes of God. We also believe that He lives in all believers and that by His ministry every Christian is made to be part of God’s eternal family, is marked off as truly God’s possession, and is specifically and uniquely gifted for Christian service. The Holy Spirit also fills or empowers the believer, in response to confession of sin and yieldedness, then He teaches and guides the believer for effective Christian service.
We believe that all genuine believers are part of the true Church, which in Scripture is referred to as the body of Christ, and that a local church is intended to be a visible expression of this body.
We believe that Christians who die, depart to be with Christ in conscious blessedness. Someday Jesus will come again to take away His living people from the earth. Then, all Christians will have glorified bodies similar to His resurrected body and share in His glory. They will reign with Him forever
We believe that Satan is a personality, the arch enemy of God and our defeated foe.
We believe that those who refuse the offer of God’s gracious gift of salvation are doomed to suffer eternal conscious separation from Him.
To love and respect people
To produce mature, multiplying disciples of Jesus Christ.
Vision at Compass Point is about what we see God doing in us and through us as we seek to fulfill His mission in the city of Burlington, in our neighbouring cities, and the world. Vision is the horizon that calls us forward, and although we acknowledge our frailties and our shortcomings in such an aspiration, this is what we passionately long for God to do in our midst by the power of the Holy Spirit. To this end…
- We see a church where people of all ages and diverse cultures are continually growing in their relationship with Jesus Christ, their understanding of God’s Word, and the application of these truths to their lives.
- We see a church where children’s, youth, young adult, and adult ministries are integrated in a way that creates warm, loving, cohesive, intergenerational relationships. In our church we see people of all ages feeling welcomed, accepted, and connected.
- We see a church where worship experiences draw people closer to God through the teaching of the Bible in clear and relevant ways, through the embracing a variety of musical forms, and through the use of the arts and technology.
- We see a church that is maximizing the use of all its existing facilities and where vision determines how facilities are used because buildings are tools.
- We see a church where every person is passionately using their gifts and talents to serve Christ in the church, in our community, and the world. This is a church were people willingly give, serve, and sacrifice with joy and deep sense of responsibility.
- We see a church where the life transforming message of Jesus is shared in clear and relevant ways with the suburban and the urban, the prosperous and the under resourced, the upright and down trodden, the whole and the broken, the mainstream and the marginalized, in Burlington, in Hamilton and in the surrounding region.
- We see a church where our missional calling is realized, not only domestically, but extends to our global communities by being actively involved in global justice, relief, and missions though generous financial support, the equipping and sending of missional workers, and the provision of strategic short term mission opportunities.
- We see a church where we are striving to reproduce and multiply ourselves though relationships, through the introduction of new ministries and through the forming of new congregations
Our Values at Compass Point are the core principles and ideals which govern how we think, relate, and do ministry. We hold to these core values because we believe they are anchored in Scripture and reflect our unique DNA. We cherish these values and aspire to have them reflected in who we are and how we live.
- Biblical: We cherish the authority of God’s Word and are committed to reading, teaching, and applying it as it shapes our thinking and produces integrity.
- Growing: We cherish ongoing personal change and radical life transformation as accountable disciples of Christ, beginning with salvation through faith in Christ.
- Prayerful: We cherish ceaseless individual prayer and united corporate prayer, as a humble expression of dependent faith and the starting point for bold initiatives.
- Relational: We cherish loving relationships as experienced in friendship, family, mentoring, small groups, larger gatherings, age appropriate ministry, and intergenerational ministry.
- Compassionate: We cherish the creation of grace-filled safe environments, generosity, and compassionate acts of service in the church, the community, and the world.
- Collaborative: We cherish the unique gifts within the body of Christ and the collaboration that takes place in the ministry of the gospel.
- Worshipful: We cherish corporate worship that is engaging, relevant, and Christ honouring.
- Creative: We cherish creative expression and innovation in the arts, worship, ministry, and problem-solving.